Monday, May 22, 2006

CURRENT MUSICAL CRACK
I am severely addicted to the following songs:
Duran Duran - White Lines
From their unfairly panned 1995 release, Thank You, which rocks--and I'm not just saying that because it's Duran Duran (contrary to popular belief, there are a few D2 efforts foul enough to make even the most steadfast Duranie cringe, to wit: Liberty, Pop Trash, and Amanda de Cadenet). But that's part of the band's charm, IMHO. They've been good, they've been bad, but (more often than not) the've been unbelievably fucking awesome. This song? A shining example of their awesomeness. And yes, I am fully aware that it is a remake (it's a tribute album, duh) and Grandmaster Flash did the original, but really--after hearing this? No need at all for the original. I propose that we declare this one the "original," if that's what makes the snotty musical purists happy. Actually, on second thought? Fuck the snotty musical purists! I have no need for them, either. This song is the shit. End of story.
Rod Stewart - What Am I Gonna Do (I'm So In Love With You)
The bouncy synth beat, the faux-Jamaican stylings, the sweet, dorky lyrics ("You're like rock n' roll and champagne, all in one...")--this song truly does it for me. And while most would argue that it's not Rod's best work (of course it isn't!), I hold it up as further evidence that this man can take any musical genre and work the hell out of it. You like country? I give you What Made Milwaukee Famous and Mandolin Wind. You like rock? Here's Stay With Me and Every Picture Tells A Story. Folk? Take Gasoline Alley and Mama, You've Been On My Mind. Disco? Yup, Passion and Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. Synth pop? Hell yeah, there's Baby Jane and Young Turks. Old standards? His current release is (if I'm not mistaken) The Great American Songbook, Volume IV. Rod is the Lizard King. He can do anything.
The Sounds - Much Too Long
I can't get enough of this one! Luvs the chimey piano, the whizzy guitars, and the chick rawker vocalist. I only recently discovered this band, but this song alone makes me want to hunt down everything they've ever recorded (two albums, apparently).

No comments: