Thursday, February 12, 2004

I am happy to report that I've now seen several episodes of The Surreal Life, thanks to the marathon that the WB ran the other day. I knew I'd love that show. It's got to be one of the greatest programs ever created. I mean, it's not in the same league as Mystery Science Theater 3000 or anything, but it's a damn sight better than whatever passes for comedy on the networks these days. It's just so durn entertaining. I'm actually not ashamed to admit that I find Vanilla Ice sort of attractive, despite his frequent tantrums. (Well, okay--I'm a little ashamed). And is it wrong that I'm developing a strange affinity for Tammy Faye Bakker? I guess that's the whole point of the show--to brainwash you into caring about people that (on the surface) aren't all that likeable. It makes me wish I'd seen the first season, when Webster and Corey Feldman were on. I can't wait to see who they'll put on next season. You just know that Pauly Shore will wind up on it at some point. Unlike Vanilla Ice and Tammy Faye, who I couldn't have cared less about in their respective heydays, back in like, '90-'91 I really dug Pauly Shore. I thought he was hot. And I watched Totally Pauly on MTV every day during summer break. Of course, I also watched Beverly Hills, 90210 each week (without irony) and thought Married...With Children was hilarious, so that should give you some idea of my mental state at the time (or lack thereof). Ah, the nineties. Thank God they're over.

But seriously, watch The Surreal Life. It's brilliant.

No comments: